There are many ways to cook Japanese rice.
Using a rice cooker is easy and popular way for Japanese people. Don’t you have a rice cooker?
It’s OK. You can cook delicious Japanese rice to use a pot with a lid. If you have a cast iron enamel pot, it is better to cook rice.
- Use a measuring cup to measure rice volume (not weight!).
- Put the rice in a bowl.
- Add water so that the rice dip into water.
- Softly rub the rice, and pour off the water quickly. Please be careful not to lose rice.
- Repeat the Step 3 to 4 a few times until the water become a little clear.
- Drain in a colander, and wait for about 30 minutes.
- Put the rice into a pot, and pour the same volume of water as the rice into the pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce to low heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and wait for 10 minutes.
- Flip the top and bottom of the rice with a spatula, and mix softly as the moisture is gone.
If you want to cook rice even better, it is recommended that you use a special pot for cooking rice. This is how some Japanese restaurants cook their delicious rice.
The following products are popular rice cooking pots in Japan.